Hello everyone! Yes, two blog posts in a day! Crazy, right? As you might know, it’s officially another year AND YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS?
Once again questioning my existence and the purpose of life? Nope! Bookish resolutions!
I’ve only been making bookish resolutions since I began blogging, but I found that I really like them! In 2017, my main reading goal was to read more diversely. If you compare 2016 to 2017, a good 2/3 of the books I read fell under the “diverse” umbrella, #ownvoices and not. WHICH IS AWESOME, since the diverse books I read in 2016 was only a couple of books that I could name.
But now it’s 2018, and I have a few bookish (and life) resolutions I’d like to share with all of you! (Yes, it’s about to get personal.)
Let’s get started!
My main reading goal for 2018 is to read more adult books. I’m going to be 18 years old this year and while I love YA, I think I should add a little more variety to what I read. I’ve always been averse to reading adult, assuming it’s all mediocre Fifty Shades or run by the white patriarchy, but bookstagram has showed me there are some really great adult books out there. Soon I’ll make a list of quality, wholesome adult to read this year.
In addition, I want to continue to read diversely. I’ve gotten used to the diverse YA book community that I call home on social media and I will still continue to support my favorite marginalized authors and their stories. Some diverse authors to look out for in 2018 includes: Angie Thomas, Sandhya Menon, Roshani Chokshi, Ashley Herring Blake, Adam Silvera, Becky Albertalli, Tahereh Mafi, Samira Ahmed, Claire Kann, Sabaa Tahir, and more.
Beside those resolutions, I have a checklist of random reading prompts + goals to make 2018 a bit more interesting. These were compiled from various posts on Pinterest, so I’d like to share them below.
In 2018, read. . .
◦ a book made into a movie you’ve already seen
◦ sequel to a 2017 debut series
◦ nordic noir
◦ novel based on a real person
◦ book with time or name of day in the title
◦ book about a villain or antihero
◦ more books by authors of color or queer authors or both
◦ a novel by two authors
◦ book with time travel
◦ book set on a different planet
◦ a past Goodreads Choice Awards winner
◦ a book you meant to read in 2017
◦ a book about a problem facing society today
◦ a book given to you as a gift
◦ a book that shares one (or multiple) of your identities
◦ host a giveaway
◦ sell unhauled books
◦ read a “classic”
◦ a popular thriller novel
◦ a book set in a country you want to visit
◦ a novel with a beautiful cover
◦ adult book recommended by bookstagrammers
and that’s it for now! I kept all of these in a cute little journal my friend gave me :3
These are a bit more personal, but here are some real life goals and resolutions of mine!
◦ reach 100k on bookstagram
◦ learn to drive + get my license
◦ visit Washington D.C.
◦ pass my AP English exam
◦ read 70 books (goodreads challenge)
◦ get my first job
◦ go on college tour
◦ get help for my anxiety
◦ turn 18
◦ see Hamilton live
◦ take ACT + apply to colleges
So, looks like I have a full year ahead. Thanks for reading! Here’s to a happy year ahead~
Do you have any life/bookish goals for 2018? Comment below!